3-4 dozen – 70 minutes, includes cooking time
Don’t let the number of ingredients deter you. These are my FAV cookies. If you don’t have a mixer, well, Darling, I didn’t have one for years. Let the margarine warm to room temperature and use a good wooden spoon to beat. These do contain added fats, but a couple as an afternoon snack won’t put you on the treadmill all night.
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- + 3 Tbsps water
- 1 3/4 C All Purpose Flour
- 2 inches grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 C sugar
- 6 Tbsps margarine
- 1/4 C molasses
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp orange Juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 C organic sugar [optional]
- Mix the flax meal and water together. Let sit for 10 minutes while gathering other ingredients.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with silicone sheets or lightly grease pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground spices.
- In a mixer, beat the margarine into the sugar. Add ginger, flax, water, molasses, zest and juice. Beat until mixed. Stir in dry ingredients in 2 separate batches until mixed.
- If desired, mix the ¼ cup sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl,
- Scoop 1 teaspoon of dough and roll into a ball. Place on cookie sheet, or roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture, then place on cookie sheet. Repeat filling the sheet.
- Flatten with the bottom of a glass or other object.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Bottoms should be slightly browned. For crisper cookies, leave on cookie sheet 2-3 minutes and place on cooling racks. For chewier cookies, remove from cookie sheet immediately and place on cooling racks,
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2010. All rights reserved.