4 Servings 25 minutes, includes cooking time
I LUV Thai food but could never get the spices to meld in a short amount of time. So now I cheat but have the flavors I crave. I serve with brown basmati rice.
11/2 C chopped onion
1C sliced carrots
½ C chopped shiitake mushrooms
¼ C vegetable broth, as needed
2 C cubed firm tofu
1 inch ginger root, grated
14 oz LITE coconut milk
1 Tbsp green curry paste
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1tsp garam masala
2 medium collard leaves
lime wedges [garnish]
- In a very hot, large, dry sauté pan, add onions and carrots. Let sear for a minute or two.
- Shake pan to keep vegetables from sticking or burning or add broth a tablespoon at a time.
- Add mushrooms, strips and ginger. Let sear another two minutes. Turn down heat to medium. Add milk, curry paste and spices. Stir the paste into the mixture. Let cook 5 minutes.
- While mixture cooks, de-vein collards. Roll up like a cigar. Cut across the “cigar” creating thin strips. Then, turn the cutting board, or you, and cut down the “cigar” slicing the strips in half.
- Add to mixture. Turn heat to simmer and put a lid over the pot. Let steam for 4 minutes. The greens should be wilted, but not totally cooked.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with lime sections.
I love a squeeze a citrus with the coconut milk.
Variations: Use red or yellow curry paste. They are not as spicy.
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2009. All rights reserved.