8 Servings – 60 minutes, includes cooking time
I love sweet potato pie, but not over sugary. This has a lovely lemony flavor that blends so well with the sweetness of pumpkin or sweet potatoes. Don’t skimp on the lemon zest!
- 1 pound raw sweet potatoes
2 flax eggs or egg replacer
1/3 C sugar
2 Tbsp applesauce
¾ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp clove
4 Tbsp corn starch
¼ C non-dairy milk
½ tsp pumpkin spice
½ tsp nutmeg
½ inch grated ginger root
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Steam the sweet potatoes until they are very soft.
- In the meanwhile, make the flax eggs
- In a food processor, add the sweet potatoes and puree.
- Add all other ingredients and process until well blended.
- Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven to 325°.
- Bake for another 20 -25 minutes, until the center quivers when the pan is jiggled.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Note: You can swap out the sweet potatoes for pumpkins.
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2005. All rights reserved.