12 Servings 35 minutes
Many cornbreads are either dry or spicy. This is one sweet enough for breakfast, but also goes with your FAV chili. Free free to pump up the sweet or the heat!
- 2 C corn meal
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- ¼ C whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- ¾ tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 C dry sweetener
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp smoked chipotle
- 2 Tbsps flax meal
- ¼ C water
- 2 C non-dairy milk
- 3 Tbsps apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C corn
- 1/3 C pumpkin seeds, coarse chop [optional]
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or use silicon sheets or parchment paper in a 9×13 cake pan.
- Combine the flax meal and water in a container with a tight-fitting lid, shake, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and dry sweetener. Whisk together.
- In a medium bowl, combine flax, milk, apple sauce, and vanilla. Whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just mixed. Add corn, onion, pepper, and seeds. Stir to combine.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle top with pumpkin seeds, if using. Bake for another 10 minutes or toothpick comes out clean. Serve. Let cool completely before serving.
Note: You can add fresh or frozen corn kernels. I also make it pretty by adding 1/3 Cup Chopped Red Pepper and ¼ Cup Chopped White Onion..
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2010. All rights reserved.