8 Servings – 60 minutes, includes cooking time
This bread is perfect for a fall or holiday morning. I know there are a lot of ingredients, but the taste is worth it. Makes an excellent gift.
- ¾ C all-purpose flour
- ½ C whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ C old-fashioned oats
- ¼ C non-dairy milk
- ¼ C applesauce
- 2 flax eggs or egg replacer
- ½ C chopped dates or dried fruit
- 1/3 C maple syrup
- ½ C sweet potato or pumpkin pureé
- ¼ C raisins
- ¼ C chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°. Oil and flour a 9×5 bread pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, all spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add dates and oats, and toss to coat.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, eggs, syrup and pureé.
- Stir in raisins.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry, folding to incorporate.
- Pour into bread pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then lower heat to 300° and bake another 15 minutes.
- When baking is done, check doneness with a toothpick. It should come out clean. Take out pan and let sit for at least 15 minutes before attempting to serve
Note: Feel free to use any other dried fruit or nuts. You can also use any leftover cranberry sauce as a jam for this.
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2022. All rights reserved.