8 Servings 10 minutes + 36 hours in fridge
Want some homemade probiotics for the winter? Have fresh tasting pickles in a couple of days. Not boiling the vinegar or cucumbers allows the probiotics to grow. Keep in the fridge to stay fresh. I re-use the brine for a few times.
- 2 Tbsps apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 ½ C cold water
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2-4 Kirby cucumbers
- 12 peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill or 2 inch sprig
- Mix vinegar, salt and water in a bowl. Let sit while preparing the other ingredients.
- Cut the cukes into spears or slices. Chop the garlic into large pieces.
- In a one quart glass jar, toss in half of the peppercorns and garlic pieces.
- Add the cuke spears or slices. Fill the jar.
- Put in the dill and the rest of the spices.
- Pour the liquid making sure it covers the top of the cukes.
- Screw on the lid of the jar. Place in refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
- Enjoy with your FAV sandwich!
Note: Feel free to put in red pepper flakes or more spices. You can use the brine for beets. I would steam beet slices for 3-5 minutes first.
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2013. All rights reserved.