3 Servings 20 minutes
My farmer friend had waxed beans and I wanted to do something special with them. I looked up recipes and realized they would be perfect in a lemony, salty sauce. Voila! This recipe was born.
- 1 C walnuts
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 pound dry pasta
- 1 pound mixed green & wax bean
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp capers
- Zest of one small lemon
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/4 C unsweetened milk, more if needed
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp tarragon
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- In a small food processor, process walnuts into creamy butter. Add 1/2 of the water and process into a thick paste.
- Microwave beans in 1 tablespoon of water with a lid for 2 1/2 minutes.
- Cook pasta in an Instant pot with enough water to barely cover the pasta. Set manual time to 1 minute. When done, wait 3 minutes and do a quick release. Drain.
- In a small bowl mash garlic cloves, capers, and lemon zest together to make a coarse paste.
- In a medium hot pan, sauté the paste for 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add the beans and toss for about 1 minute.
- Stir 1/4 cup of walnut paste and remaining water to create a creamy sauce
- Turn heat to low. Stir in the milk and spices.
- Keep adding walnut paste and milk to create the desired consistency and volume of sauce.
- Add pasta and fold to combine. Serve.
Note: You can use all green beans, broccoli, peas, kale, roasted squash, or a vegetable medley with this sauce.
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2023. All rights reserved.