4 servings – 40 minutes
When I changed my diet to basically no oil and no dairy products, I thought how can I give up – Eggplant Parmesan!
This is how to make it in half the time. They freeze well. Thaw and top with the marinara sauce. You can use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs if needed.
This recipe was Army Approved by my military friends.
1 medium eggplant in 1” slices
1/4 tsp Celtic salt
1 C flour, any type
2/3 C water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 C breadcrumbs, gluten free if needed
1/2 C flax meal
2 C Your favorite marinara sauce
½ C non-dairy parmesan or ½ C nutritional yeast [optional]
- Lightly salt each side and set on baking pan while you assemble the rest of the ingredients. You can let sit up to 8 hours.
- You need 3 shallow pans for the dredging
– Pan #1: 3/4 cup flour; Pan #2: Rest of flour and water. Mix with a fork;
Pan#3: Breadcrumbs, flax meal and garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with a silicon sheet. Rinse salt off eggplant slices.
- Stab eggplant slice with a fork and dredge through Pan #1. Make sure there is flour on both sides. Tap excess off with finger. Dip both sides of slice in Pan #2. This is the “glue” for the breadcrumbs. Place in Pan #3 and completely cover with breadcrumbs. Tap off excess. Put on baking pan. Repeat with each slice.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While cutlets are baking, heat the marinara.
- Turn cutlets over and bake for another 10 minutes. They are done when easily pierced by fork.
- Place cutlets on plate and spoon marinara on to cover.
- Shake on the cheese or yeast and serve.
Note: Marinara must meet Magic 3’s/Max 6 criteria
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2010. All rights reserved.