4 Servings 20 minutes, includes cooking time
This is such an amazingly simple, yet totally comforting dish. You can’t get much cheaper than potatoes, onions and kale. The original would have a boatload of whole cow milk and butter. But, I find I don’t need it with Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes. You can always leave out the kale or cabbage according to your palate. I would not use a nut milk such as almond. It tastes too much like almonds.
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, 1-inch cubes
1 C cabbage, chopped
1/2 C yellow onion, chopped
4 kale leaves, chopped
3/4 C soy milk, unsweetened, more if needed for desired consistency
2 scallions, chopped
- Put potatoes in a large bowl with 1/4 cup water and microwave with a lid on for 8-10 minutes. Potatoes should be mostly cooked and have slight resistance when tested with fork. If necessary, cook for longer.
- Steam cabbage and onion for three minutes, then add kale and steam for another 2 minutes.
- Mash soy milk into potatoes and add drained cabbage and kale.
- Stir in scallions and add pepper to taste.
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2009. All rights reserved.