20 balls – 50 minutes
These meatless balls can be put on pasta, in a sandwich or just served as an appetizer with marinara on toothpicks. You can also put them on pizza. They freeze well and are quickly reheated for a yummy lunch. You can quickly chop the walnuts in a food processor and then add the other ingredients in step 3.
1 prepared flax meal egg
½ onion, chopped small
3 Tbsp fennel or ½ C celery, chopped
1 1/2 C or 15 oz can of kidney drained, rinsed
1/4 C minced walnuts
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
½ Tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a piece of parchment paper or sil-pat sheet on baking sheet.
- Steam onion and celery in a pan for 5-8 minutes or 2 minutes in a microwave.
- Combine kidney beans, tomato paste, nutritional yeast, nuts, and all seasonings into a food processor. Pulse until beans are broken, but not mush.
- Add the flax egg, parsley, basil and vegetables. Pulse until lightly combined.
- Pinch an inch of bean mixture and roll into a ball. Place on baking sheet. Repeat filling pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes – turning the pan halfway through.
- Serve with a marinara or Quick Pizza Sauce Recipe.
Note: Swap ½ tsp of fennel powder for fresh fennel. For more crunch add more nuts.
Abbreviations: C = cup; oz = ounce; Tbsp = tablespoon; tsp = teaspoon
Copyright Marty Davey, 2010. All rights reserved.